Tag: Transport


Monmouth Tramroad

The Monmouth Railway Act, authorising construction of a horse-drawn tramroad from Howlers Slade, near Broadwell, to May Hill, near Monmouth, via Coleford, Newland, and Redbrook, was passed on 24 May 1810. Read More


Netherhope Halt

Netherhope Halt was the last halt to be opened on the Wye Valley Railway, between Chepstow and Monmouth, in July 1932. Read More


Penallt Viaduct (Redbrook Railway Bridge)

Penallt viaduct is situated on the former Wye Valley Railway, which ran from a junction with the South Wales Railway near Chepstow to Monmouth. Read More


Pike House Sling

It was recorded in 1834 that on the south side of Clearwell Meend, at Clay Lane End, a toll house existed under the control of the Dean Forest Turnpike Trust. Read More


Redbrook Incline

Redbrook Incline is on the Redbrook Branch of the the Monmouth Railway, a horse-drawn tramroad which ran from Broadwell to May Hill, near Monmouth, via Coleford, Newland, and Redbrook. Read More


Redbrook-on-Wye Station

Redbrook-on-Wye (commonly referred to simply as Redbrook) station, on the Wye Valley Railway between Chepstow and Monmouth, opened with the line on 1 November 1876. Read More


Reform Bridge

‘Reform Bridge’ is located to the south of Speech House Lake. The 1831 Ordnance Survey Map shows a track running through the Forest between Parkend and Yew Tree Brake, and... Read More


St Briavels Station

St Briavels station, on the Wye Valley Railway between Chepstow and Monmouth, was built in 1876, and open with the line on 1 November that year. Read More


The Dean Road

The Dean Road is a paved and kerbed road running from Highfield Hill, Lydney to Mitcheldean, a distance of just over 10 miles. Read More


Tidenham Bridge

Tidenham bridge carried the Wye Valley Railway, which ran between Chepstow and Monmouth, over the main Chepstow-Lydney road, just south of Tidenham Station, and about ½ mile north of Wye... Read More

Back to Top