Category: Heritage Sites

Bixslade Stoneworks

The stone works was opened in 1901 by Messrs. E. Turner & Sons of Cardiff to enable the working of stone brought down the Bicslade Tramroad from Spion Kop Quarry. Read More

Bixslade Tramroad

The Bicslade (sic) Tramroad was a branch off the Severn and Wye Railway’s 3 ft 6 in. gauge tramroad from Lydney to Lydbrook, which opened in 1810. Read More

Brick Pit

Moseley Green New Engine gales were granted in 1842-3, and there was a Brick Pit on Newmanshropshire gale by 1855. Read More

Cannop Colliery

The Cannop Coal Co. Ltd was formed in June 1906, taking over the Union & Cannop and Prince Albert deep gales from Henry Crawshay & Co. Ltd. Read More

Churchway Colliery

Churchway Colliery was begun in 1740 and by about 1833 was in the hands of the Bennett family, who worked it at least until the 1850s. Read More

Cinderford Bridge Colliery

The Cinderford Bridge gale was bought by James Cowmeadow in 1841 to work the Coleford High Delf Seam in the Pennant Group (middle Upper Coal Measures). Read More

Clearwell Cross

Restored 14th century cross, which is a listed ancient monument. The shrine and the 5 steps on which it stands are original, but the shaft and head were made during... Read More

Coleford (GWR) Station

Coleford Station was the terminus of the Coleford Railway from Wyesham Junction, near Monmouth, which opened on 1 September 1883, being worked by the Great Western Railway from the start. Read More

Coleford Railway

The Coleford Railway Act, authorising construction of a line from Wyesham Junction (with the Coleford, Monmouth, Usk and Pontypool and the Wye Valley Railways) to Coleford, was passed on 18... Read More

Coleford railway Bridge

Construction of the Coleford Railway, which ran from Wyesham Junction, near Monmouth, to Coleford, began in 1880, the contractors being Reed Bros & Co. Read More

Back to Top