Pike House Sling

Resources » Sites in the forest » Pike House Sling

SMDB Image 045

View location on OS Map

OS Grid Referance: SO580077

It was recorded in 1834 that on the south side of Clearwell Meend, at Clay Lane End, a toll house existed under the control of the Dean Forest Turnpike Trust. The Turnpike Trust itself was in existence between 1796 and 1888. The 1851 census for Orepool recorded Edmund Mather (birthplace Branston, Northumberland) as the Toll Collector. The 1871 census return recorded Anne Rosser as Tollkeeper. In 1975 the Pike House was recorded as just one room deep, with a lean-to at the rear, with a typical toll house angled front window. At that time the property was empty and boarded up. In 2001 however the property was occupied.
Back to Top