Category: Heritage Sites


Fairplay Iron Mine

The most extensive remains of fairplay Mine are of a Cornish underbeam engine house over a masonry shaft about 350 feet deep. Read More


Fairplay Iron Mine Engine House

The most extensive remains of fairplay Mine are of a Cornish underbeam engine house over a masonry shaft about 350 feet deep. Read More


Favourite Mine

Favourite Mine is a free mine which worked coal seams in the Pennant Group (middle Upper Coal Measures) via a drift. Read More


Flaxley Abbey

Flaxley Abbey was originally a Cistercian monastery built in the vale of Castiard to commemorate the spot where, in 1143 in the reign of King Stephen, Milo Fitzwalter, Earl of... Read More


Flour Mill Colliery

Although Flour Mill was first galed in 1843, a chemical works had been built on the site by 1844. Read More


Forest House

Forest House is on Cinder Hill, Coleford. It was built in about 1795, with walls two feet thick. Read More


Foxes Bridge Colliery

The original Foxes Bridge Colliery of c.1837 was never completed, and in 1855 sinking of a new colliery began further north. Read More


Hamblins Yorkley Free Mine

After a new gale (Hamblins Yorkley) was defined in about 1920, the Yorkley Seam (Pennant Group) was worked by the Hamblin family. Read More


Harrow Hill Colliery

Albert Jones acquired the mining rights on Prosper gale at Harrow Hill in 1916, also taking a lease on the east wing of Speedwell Newbridge Colliery; Newbridge Engine Colliery was... Read More


Haywood Colliery

In 1841 the Haywood gale was awarded to Moses Teague, who, in association with William Crawshay, was opening a colliery there. Read More

Back to Top